Post-doctoral position at LBNL
October 12, 2010 § Leave a comment
Be part of something great!
The Physical Biosciences Division has an opportunity for a Computational Biologist Postdoctoral Fellow. Under general supervision of the principal investigators, Hector Garcia Martin and Aindrila Mukhopadhyay, the candidate will work as part of a team to develop quantitative predictive models of a microbial community used in an industrially relevant application: Enhanced Biological Phosphorus Removal (EBPR). The candidate will leverage the wealth of `omics data recently made available starting with the publication of the metagenome of this system (Nat. Biotech., 24: 1263-9 (2006)), and work as part of a team to develop algorithms that integrate metabolomics and peptide based mass spectrometric data for measuring metabolic flux distributions for this microbial community.
As a Postdoc, you will:
* Develop quantitative predictive models of cell metabolism.
* Integrate transcriptomic, proteomic and metabolomic data into quantitative models.
* Develop and optimize code and algorithms for predictive models.
* Calculate metabolic flux distributions from carbon labeling data and flux balance analysis.
* Interact continuously with experimentalists to guide and propose new experiments and use available data to its full potential.
* Prepare research results for publication and for presentations at scientific and internal meetings.
* Assist in preparation of grant proposals.
Key Success Factors:
* PhD in systems biology, bioinformatics, theoretical physics, applied mathematics or closely related discipline.
* Significant experience in Matlab and C, C++ or fortran programming.
* Strong mathematical background and analytical skills.
* Strong interest in microbiology and bacterial metabolism.
* Strong written communication skills.
* A commitment to and demonstrated ability to perform collaborative research in an interdisciplinary team environment.
* Knowledge of microbiology and bacterial metabolism.
* Experience in metabolic flux analysis.
This is a full time, one-year term appointment with the possibility of renewal contingent upon continued funding and satisfactory performance.
How To Apply
Application site here. Please submit a single attachment that includes both your resume or CV and a statement of your research interests. Please be sure to reference where you found out about the position.
Berkeley Lab is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer committed to the development of a diverse workforce.